Miah Dennehy.

Jeremiah John Dennehy was born in Cork, Eire, on March 29th, 1950 and joined Cork Hibernians in 1969. He became a prominent member of this successful team by the early 1970's, helping them to win several trophies including the League Of Ireland title in 1971 and when he scored a hat trick in the FAI Cup Final against Waterford United he became the first player to do so. He also played in several games against European teams for Cork Hibs.

In January, 1973, he tried his luck in England, signing for Nottingham Forest for a transfer fee of £20,000 and he established himself there under manager Dave Mackay, but lost his way under Brian Clough, so after 41 second division games and 4 goals for Forest he joined Walsall in July, 1973, for a reported £10,000 fee signed by Saddlers manager Doug Fraser, a former team mate of his at the City Ground.

'Miah' soon settled in at Fellows Park and in that first season of 1975-6 he only missed one game notching 8 goals and soon became a fan's favourite with his speedy, tricky, all-action style. 1976-7 saw him play in 44 league games with 6 goals to his credit, 3 of them in the 6-1 thrashing of Reading. By the end of that season his old Forest manager was in the Fellows Park hot seat and at Walsall there was a further Forest connection with Alan Buckley and Dave Serella former team mates too.

In 1977-8 he again made 44 appearances in all competitions and supporters were shocked to see him join Bristol Rovers in July 1978. In total for Walsall he made 145 full apps plus 5 as sub scoring 22 goals. At Eastville he made 52 appearances scoring 6 goals before joining Cardiff City. He never made a single appearance for them and got released and after a short spell with Trowbridge he returned home to Cork in 1980.

Miah .continued playing for Cork United, Waterford Town, Limerick United, Drogheda United and Newcastle West and coached junior teams. He also had an international career, playing 11 times and scoring 2 goals for Eire. Mick Kearns was a team mate for the Republic when they were both together at Walsall. After football he had a number of jobs including a hotel porter and was doorman at several Cork bars.

There was an horrific attack on him outside a bar in 2007, where he was the victim of a serious assault by David Naughton. Miah spent 4 months in hospital which included 5 weeks in intensive care. Mick Kearns contacted his former team mate and provided updates on his slow recovery.

Miah will always be remembered by those of us fortunate enough to have watched him play for Saddlers and was always popular with his team mates, the fans and the media. A bit of a joker too!

There is a fascinating interview with Miah Dennehy here.. well worth a read.


Privacy Policy

Cookie Policy

© 2020